In 1901, John H. Peck resigned as president of RPI and Palmer C. Ricketts was unanimously elected by the Board of Trustees as his successor. This united the offices of director and president creating a more powerful administrator. Ricketts managed steady structural and curricular development during his 33 year term. Ten academic buildings (referred to as the green roof campus) and twenty-nine dormitory units were constructed under his supervision. Degree programs in mechanical, chemical, metallurgical, aeronautical and industrial engineering programs were added to the curriculum as well as a school of architecture and a graduate school. Ricketts successfully raised money from groups and individuals to support this development; most notably a $1 million gift from Margaret Olivia Sage in 1906 and over $5 million from John Marshall Lockhart over a period of 20 yrs. Ricketts orchestrated the Institute's 100th Anniversary celebration, which was attended by dignitaries from around the world. Though Ricketts was not revolutionary or even visionary, he was an able leader with a lasting impact on an institution that claimed his devotion. P.C. Ricketts died while in office on Dec. 9, 1934. The laboratory completed in 1935 was named the Ricketts Building in his honor.