1830

Amos Eaton institutes a Rensselaer School Flotilla on the Erie Canal as a special summer session.

 
 

1834

Rensselaer School moves to Van der Heyden Mansion and is renamed the Rensselaer Institute.

 
 

1835

The Civil Engineering degree is awarded to four students at the spring commencement. The Bachelor of Natural Science degree replaces the A.B. degree.

 
 

1839

Stephen Van Rensselaer III, patron and founder of the Institute, dies January 26.

 
 

Scroll through time year by year.
1820 1830 1840 1850 1860 1870 1880 1890 1900 1910 1920 1930 1940 1950 1960 1970 1980 1990 2000