(Awjun, Ojun, Odzoon, Ozounlar)
Near Alaverdi, T'umanian region, Republic of Armenia
AA Vol. 1, Fiche # 021-026.
The Church of Odzun is located in the village by the same name near
Alaverdi in the Republic of Armenia (coord. 41-08 / 44-40). The church
has been attributed to the 6th or 7th century with additions made by Katholikos
Yorhan Awjneci (717-728 AD) during the 8th century. An inscription on the
lintel of the south portal indicates that Yorhan commissioned Tovmas, the
architect and sculptor, to rebuild the church. The church is a large, longitudinal
cruciform church inscribed within a rectangular form and it is constructed
of pink felsite stone.
On the interior, four free-standing piers support the cupola with two additional piers at the west end of the space. The small bell towers on the east end of the church were constructed in the late 19th century. Restoration was undertaken in 1889 and again during 1949-1950.
The monument has two narrow stelae set between double arches set upon
a high platform. The stelae are divided into panels within which are carved
figural, floral and geometric motifs. There are scenes referential to the
conversion of Armenia to Christianity, as well as scenes from both the
Old and New Testaments.